Thursday, November 11, 2010

~20 days of Gratitude~ Day #1

I have been talking with the kids about being THANKFUL....for all that they have. Explaining that so many children out there have nothing. We sat down last Saturday and talked about ways we could show our gratitude....not just with money...but with service. I asked the kids what they each thought they could do to HELP someone else. We talked about selling items such as clothes, toys and things we don't use or need....and donating the money to a local animal shelter....or a foster home for children. We even talked about a bake sale...Kaitlyn 'really' loved this one. We talked about helping out at school in the library or classroom....and not getting a paw ticket (these tickets are rewards at school)...because it was a good deed and we werent doing it to get something back. We talk about volunteering....and though they are a little young....that being in the girl scouts and boy scouts....is all about 'helping' in the community. We talked about them earing money to buy gifts for others instead of themselves....because 'giving' is so much more rewarding that 'receiving'. I was really suprised at how they each offered ideas....such as Kase wanted to sell 2 of his nerf blasters...or give them to someone...(these are like GOLD to him)...and Coby...well he didnt really offer anything....but wanted to give his money to help the puppies an kittens. Kaitlyn....she was a litle more difficult in forth coming like the others....she doesnt like to part with ANYTHING....she is soo much like her Paw Paw Ken... :) ....and Keith's dad isnt much better.....but in the end...she did say she would love to volunteer.

Since November is the month for thanksgivings....I decided to post each day about what I am thankful for.... I want to reflect on the blessings in my life and all the things I over look each day. It's not often that I stop from the everyday rush to reflect....and I want to change that. I want to stop and smell the roses (so to speak)....I want to 'live' in the moments that are my life right now!!

So for today.....I am thankful for our veteran's. The life that I have....the freedom I have....is because of the MANY men and women who have went to war to protect me and those laws which allow me....to be ME. I can say whatever I want. I can live how I choose. I have so many options being here in the US.......because of those men and women. They are my protectors...and I am THANKFUL!!!

No comments: